Sunday, May 8, 2016

The week in review

I'm writing this at 1:30 a.m. ... And I just woke up. I was hoping to have a non-nocturnal schedule this weekend, but my body wouldn't cooperate. So here I am!

Not to complain too much, but it was kind of a sucky week. I got sick on Tuesday and didn't feel totally *better* until Saturday. (When I get sick it's made worse by the fact that I have anxiety issues. So even if I just have sniffles and a cough, I'm ALWAYS convinced that I actually have ebola or something and will drop dead tomorrow). I was working nights. This presidential election seems to really be going downhill ...

Here's hoping that next week is better!

I did FINALLY get the latest Vanity Fair issue with my girl Amy Schumer on the cover.


I've been contemplating adopting a cat for a while now. I LOVE animals. I grew up with two dogs, and I miss them a lot. Recently I took to the Atlanta Humane Society website to browse the available cats. One in particular caught my eye. On Saturday, I went to go meet him.

 

This is Little Bit -- Although he's not little. He's actually a pretty big cat. When I met him he was a bit shy at first ... But he loved being petted. He head-butted my hand. I LOVE the adorable head-butt thing that cats do!

I left without taking Little Bit home with me, but I really wanted to. I go back and forth about returning to the shelter and adopting him. He's a sweet cat and I know I could give him love and care for the rest of his life ... 

But I have cat-mitment issues! I don't know if I'm ready to take on the financial costs of having a fur baby! Or having to vacuum cat hair from my belongings on a regular basis! Or having to deal with a litter box! (Seriously, it might sound petty, but the litter box thing might be a deal breaker for me ... I've cleaned litter boxes before. VERY unpleasant.)

To cat, or not to cat? I dunno. I'll think about it over the next few days.


~~~



Horrified reactions from around the world to the possible Donald Trump nomination, BuzzFeed. The Trump disgust is universal.

The morning after in America: The GOP is seriously nominating Donald Trump for president, Texas Monthly.

Inside Palantir, Silicon Valley's most secretive company, BuzzFeed. SO INTERESTING!

What it's like to report from North Korea, by a journalist who's there right now, The Washington Post. Major respect to these journalists. I could never do this.

Why you shouldn't exercise to lose weight, explained with 60+ studies, Vox. Exercise is great for health, but apparently doesn't do much by itself for weight loss.

Calm down Internet, here's what that study on The Biggest Loser actually proves, XOJane.
"Athletes did not get their powerful muscles and toned looks by eating 1000 fewer calories than they burn every day. They got there by fueling their activities with the energy their bodies need. Somehow, I doubt that Abby Wambach and Michael Phelps go to bed hungry. And yet they aren't fat! Their metabolisms work in their favor because they take care of themselves. This is the exact opposite of what the contestants on The Biggest Loser experienced during their weight loss journey, and that is why their metabolisms have struggled to recover from such an extended and extreme period of starvation."


What kind of women think maternity leave is paid time off? XOJane. In honor of Mother's Day.

Dixie Chicks defend BeyoncĂ© against criticism with scorching cover of "Daddy Lessons," Vanity Fair. I don't understand why there's this huge debate over whether or not "Daddy Lessons" is a country song. If Bey meant for it to be a country song, then it's a country song. No matter what genre you consider it to be, it's a GOOD song.

Stormtrooper Corps debuts new cosplay armor designed for women, Women You Should Know. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

If campus carry works, it will devour the solar system, McSweeney's. "How many guns are necessary to remove even the most remote statistical risk of gun violence? The answer: 6.98×10^30 guns. If we gather this many guns in one place, I can personally guarantee that no one will be affected by gun violence."

Emma Watson's Met Gala outfit was made out of recycled plastic bottles, BuzzFeed. "The body of the gown is crafted from three different fabrics, all woven from yarns made from recycled plastic bottles (!). Plastic is one of the biggest pollutants on the planet. Being able to repurpose this waste and incorporate it into my gown for the ‪#‎MetGala‬ proves the power that creativity, technology and fashion can have by working together."
GAH, I mean, can Emma Watson get any more perfect? I think not.


How to ghost a toxic friend and NOT feel bad about it, Hello Giggles. Detoxing your life of people who only bring you down is SO important. Anyone who purposely does something to make you feel bad ≠ a friend. "Surround yourself with good people who will lift you up and support you." -- THIS x infinity.

DiGiorno's looks nothing like delivery, The Hairpin. Someone finally said it. THANK YOU.

I always appreciate it when celebrities bring awareness to mental health issues. Kristen Bell recently discussed her anxiety and depression in an interview. It's definitely worth watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment