Saturday, May 21, 2016

The week in review -- James Bond & Jell-O shots

Right now my body hurts because one, I recently started working out for the first time in weeks, and two, I got drunk for the first time in months Friday night.


Me looking hawt doing a Jell-O shot.
Hey, I had reason to celebrate. Monday, I go back to working days for a month or so! Yay to not being nocturnal! And, my boyfriend recently made plans to come visit me! Woohoo!

But after this weekend I'm trying to clean up my diet -- minimal alcohol, minimal sugar ... Minimal fun, basically :-( & lots of fruits and veggies. I'm trying to have a good attitude about it ... *forced smile.* I'm also going to (try to) exercise daily.

~~~


Here are some of the EgyptAir crash victims, BuzzFeed. I think it's important to put human faces on terrible tragedies like this.

Guy Clark: One last look, Texas Monthly. Rest in peace.

People with mental illnesses deserve to be alive, Medium. I used to read XOJane, even if they sometimes posted content that made me cringe (e.g., they recently posted a ridiculous opinion piece written by this woman who says male OB/GYNs cannot be trusted and only pervy guys would want to enter that occupation ... EYE ROLL). 
However, they recently published an awful opinion piece that I believe is the last straw. It was actually called, "My former friend's death was a blessing." ... I KNOW. The author says she had a "friend" with schizophrenia and a myriad of other issues who "was beyond help." Therefore, she says, it was a "blessing" when her friend killed herself. This is so wrong on so many levels. That woman absolutely could have been helped. It may have been incredibly difficult and her treatment may have even taken years, but I truly believe that no one is "beyond help."
XOJane removed the article and wrote a formal apology. However, the author hasn't apologized. (The stupid OB/GYN article is still up, too)
Thankfully there have been many amazing responses, like the above linked Medium article. Do a Google search and you will find many more.
Peace out, XOJane. Nobody's death is a "blessing," and saying so is pretty detestable.

Graffiti from Pompeii. SO. INTERESTING. "Marcus loves Spendusa," ... "Atimetus got me pregnant." The ancient Romans were just like us!!

The name's Elba, Idris Elba, - and he must be James Bond, The Guardian. I support Idris Elba as the next James Bond 100 percent. This must happen!

Kevin Smith is doing a Buckaroo Banzai reboot TV show, Vulture. Watch the original Buckaroo Banzai movie if you haven't. It's awesome. And Buckaroo himself (Peter Weller) went to my alma mater -- UNT!

Women making waves: Gráinne Ní Mháille, Coast Monkey. This week I learned about Ireland's legendary 15th century pirate queen. Pretty badass.

Why everyone's talking about Sheryl Sandberg's powerful commencement speech, Verily.

For survivors of abuse like me, Donald Trump's interview with Megyn Kelly was excruciating, Vox. I cannot bring myself to watch the interview.

How paleo got me fat ... And Pop Tarts got me shredded, Biolayne. I don't think there's any one "perfect diet." Different things work for different people. I found this article really interesting.

Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting, Relevant Magazine. Such a good article. Forgiveness is something that I, at times, have found hard to do. This article dispels a few myths about forgiveness.

The Christian myth of America's moral decay, John Pavlovitz. He always hits the nail on the head. "But the truth is America is not in decline any more than at any time in its history. This is just lazy religious-speak that seeks to paint the picture of everything being terrible so it can name drop the 'Last Days' and leverage the ensuing fear such language invariably creates in suggestible God-fearing folk."

So are we just not going to talk about how in 2001 both "Bridget Jones' Diary" and "Legally Blonde" had a pivotal scene where the protagonist was tricked into attending a non-costume party in a Playboy bunny costume, The Toast. I HAVE HAD THIS EXACT THOUGHT BEFORE! Glad The Toast is shedding light on this subject, 15 years later! This is why The Toast SHOULDN'T CLOSE!!!

I feel like there was a lot of heavy news this week, so here's a cute picture of a fox and a hound.


No comments:

Post a Comment