Friday, May 20, 2016

On being fit-ish

Ah, working out and eating clean. I have a love-hate relationship with these concepts.

I'd like to say it's "love" more often than not, but ... While I've been known to go on spurts of working out and eating right, just as often I have spurts of not feeling it.

In late 2014, I did a month of the Insanity workout, and shortly thereafter got the flu and strep throat at the same time ... And subsequently lost, like, 15 lbs. People would say "Wow! You look great!" or "You're getting so skinny, are you OK?" I'd reply, "Well, I don't know if this weight loss is attributed to doing one month of a back-breaking workout routine, or getting two crippling illnesses at the same time and having no appetite, or a little of both. But thanks!"

I honestly haven't stuck to a workout routine since the Insanity/flu incident. I'll jog or do the 30 Day Shred here and there, but I haven't been consistent with either.

I recently saw a T-shirt advertised on Facebook defining the phrase, "fit-ish." This, my friends, is me.




I wouldn't call myself "unhealthy and in desperate need of a lifestyle change," but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm doing the best I can for my health, either.

Some bloggers have a long, detailed "weight loss/fitness/body image" story that they share. I'll only share a couple aspects of mine, because it's not that interesting.

My dad has one of those metabolisms that allows him to eat whatever and not gain weight. I don't know why the genetic lottery didn't bless me with that trait. Instead, my dad gave me full, bushy eyebrows that must be dealt with every few weeks or else they'll turn into a unibrow (I'm really glad the "eyebrows on fleek" trend is a thing and I hope it sticks around for a while, because my eyebrows are FINALLY stylish!).

I can relate to Rachel Wilkerson-Miller when she said, in a blog post from years ago that seems to have been removed, "I'm the kind of girl who can gain five pounds just smelling pizza and lose five pounds by dropping cheese for a week."

To give my opinion on body image and the related issues people face (especially women on weight-related issues) would be beating a dead horse. This is an issue that has been discussed to death, and I don't know what else to add to the conversation except, "Yep. I get it. And it sucks."


Me


I've lost 15-20 pounds since high school on any given day, since my weight fluctuates. And, on any given day, I'm either OK with my weight or I want to lose anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds (I know, I know ... Roll your eyes. They're vanity pounds. Friends/family hate whenever I mention this).

I've spent about a month and a half being sedentary and eating OK (think lots of Lean Cuisines, candy whenever I feel like it and occasional alcohol. Fresh fruits/veggies only once in a blue moon). But I'm not happy with this routine, and I want to get into the habit of working out and eating right long-term; for many more reasons other than just losing weight (although that would be nice :-P).

Thursday I saw a personal trainer for the first time. I'm hoping that through personal training I can 1) establish a habit of doing SOMETHING every day, and 2) work on my upper body strength ... Because it's pretty feeble.

SO. Here's to starting on another healthy living kick and hopefully having the tenacity to stay with it for as long as possible ... Preferably, the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment