Sunday, May 1, 2016

The week in review -- YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

This week, I went back to working nights. Turning your sleep schedule a complete 180 isn't fun. And it makes the weekends awkward.

BUT, I'll get through it.

The most interesting thing I did was go see a screening of "The Room" Friday night, with director/actor Tommy Wiseau himself in attendance.


The Plaza Theatre is an excellent venue. I will be back.

I don't know how to describe The Room. It's been called "the Citizen Kane of bad movies" -- An assessment I agree with. It's bad, yes. Terrible, even. However, watching it drunk and with friends can be a fun experience (I wouldn't recommend watching The Room without being under the influence of something first).

This IMDB user review sums it up quite nicely:

"You know that foreign exchange student from high school who used to creep out all the girls with his clumsy leering and broken-English pick-up lines? Well, he's all grown up and somebody gave him money to make a film. Tommy Wiseau, whose accent could best be described as "half-drunk Croatian cyborg", stars as Johnny, the man with the most sculpted ass in all of San Francisco. His girlfriend Lisa, played by oft-topless Juliette Danielle, seduces his best friend, played by department store mannequin Greg Sestero. To go any farther with the plot would be overdignifying this laugh-out-loud crapfest. Imagine a two-hour episode of "Red Shoe Diaries" written and directed by Balki from "Perfect Strangers". Trust me, this is the worst movie you will ever see ever in your entire life. Ever. But is it pathetically awful or sadistically hilarious? What you think will depend on your life experiences and viewpoint."



Tommy did a Q&A in between a screening of an episode of his series, "The Neighbors," and "The Room."

After seeing the man in person, I am left with more questions than answers.

Woman in audience: "Why are you wearing three belts?"
Tommy: "I cannot tell you. Ha ha!" (He actually said "ha ha." He didn't chuckle or anything.)



He wears sunglasses inside, and speaks exactly like his character in The Room. I don't know what to say. The man is an enigma.


~~~

I did plenty of reading this week ...

Play the 'woman card' and reap these 'rewards'!, The Washington Post. PREACH, SISTER!

Beyoncé's Lemonade, explained: An artistic triumph that's also an economic powerhouse, Vox. I cannot stop listening to Lemonade. It's ... Amazing.

We need a chronic passion for nature, not a passing storm, Aeon. A powerful read. "Maybe the gratuitous killing of one lion in Zimbabwe did the world – and the lions – some good. That’s not yet clear to me. But is this what it takes? A dead lion with a name, a Minnesota dentist who pulled the trigger, and the rise of an internet lynch mob? Is this how we take action and measure our victories?"

A mockery of justice for the poor, The New York Times. Read this and fume. Something about our country that I'm truly proud of is the right to an attorney for those being tried for a crime. That's great, however, most public defenders are underpaid and overworked. Something needs to be done. I'm really glad the Times is giving law professor John Pfaff a platform to speak on this issue.
I would HIGHLY recommend the documentary, "Gideon's Army," about public defenders (I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix).


Uncovering the stupidity of the latest anti-millennial rant, Raw Story. Ana Kasparian is one of my biggest heroes in journalism. And the "viral rant" that's the subject of this article is uber maddening ... If you haven't watched it, don't.
"Here’s the thing – if millennials were given the same opportunities as the generations before them yet still complained about unemployment, underemployment and student loan debt, maybe Bloomer’s statements would have an ounce of credibility. But this whole notion that we’re lazy and want things handed to us is simply untrue. In fact, Bloomer minimizing the economic struggles of millennials is downright insulting, and shifts the blame of the failed economic policies of our elders onto us."

When trans selfies in bathrooms go viral, Buzzfeed. I guarantee you have shared a public restroom with a person who is transgendered, and didn't even know it.

Why Congress's investigation into Planned Parenthood has scientists terrified, Vox.

How the tampon tax became viral legislation
, New York Magazine. A piece from another one of my heroes in journalism, Ann Friedman.


YAAAAS!!!
Amy Schumer is rich, famous and in love: Can she keep her edge?, Vanity Fair. I am THRILLED that Amy Schumer is on the cover of Vanity Fair. I've been going to Barnes & Noble every day for the past few days to pick up a copy of the new issue ... But my B&N doesn't have it yet!

From "sob sister" to badass: Lois Lane's long, amazing journey out of Superman's shadow, Salon. Lady journalists FTW!

A nerd tried rewriting "50 Shades of Grey" and it's better than the real thing, Distractify. OH. MY. GOD. Read this!! I laughed until tears came from my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment