Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Good opening acts

I love seeing live music shows. Even if the artist/band isn't an act I particularly like, I will go to a show they're playing if invited, because shows can be so fun. (For example, I went to a KMFDM concert with a friend in Dallas, even though industrial music isn't my bag. I stood in the back of the mosh pit. People kept touching my arm and shouting, "ARE YOU OK?" I might have looked scared, but I was actually really intrigued. That was quite an experience.)

Loud music. The energy of the crowd. Seeing musicians you idolize in the flesh just a few feet in front of you. IT'S GREAT.

Another thing about live music shows that I truly enjoy is discovering new artists through opening acts. I have made a few favorite bands/singers/rappers this way, and I'd like to share them with you here!

Sweet Lee Morrow/Jesse Podunk



In 2007, I went to see The Polyphonic Spree at Stubb's BBQ in Austin for the first time. One of the opening acts was a band called Sweet Lee Morrow. I saw the Spree again, four years later, in Denton -- and Sweet Lee Morrow was back as an opening act. This time it was a solo act; Just Jesse Podunk switching between a guitar and a keyboard.

The song "Politics" is a bit depressing, but one of my favorites. Podunk is a Dallas native and makes a few D-town references ("strung out on Lover's Lane").

Another excellent song is "Wreck Your Car," although I can't seem to find that online.

I'm really pleased to see that Sweet Lee Morrow is still touring. Go see him if you get a chance.

Fat Tony


I credit Fat Tony with piquing my interest in rap music. In college I went to go see the band Mister Heavenly at Hailey's in Denton (neither Mister Heavenly nor Hailey's exist anymore, which makes me really sad). Rapper Fat Tony was the opening act.

I've never listened to much rap, or liked the rap I heard. I thought I wouldn't like Fat Tony, but once he began performing I was proven wrong.

After the show, one of my friends tweeted that she would be "skipping collard greens and beans for a Kit Kat," (some of his lyrics) and he tweeted back "Follow your dreams, shawty :-3."

The whole album, RABDARGAB, is good stuff.

He's also a Houston native. Being a Texan automatically wins points with me.


And The Kids

I saw And The Kids at, so far, the only concert I've been to in Atlanta -- I need to change that soon. They were opening for Tristen.

About halfway through their set, And The Kids' lead singer said that half the band was missing. Their bass player was in school, and the keyboardist had been deported.

Honestly, they sounded really great with just a guitarist/lead singer and a drummer. I think the fact that they could sound so great with just half their band present says a lot.

After hearing the songs "Secret Makeout Factory" and "Devastation Celebration," I was sold.

This band is pretty new and up-and-coming. I really hope they have a long, successful road ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment