Sunday, May 29, 2016

The week in review -- In which there's a lot going on in my life but I somehow manage to make this post boring

This was an eventful week. It was my first week back on the day shift, which I am very happy about!! I went to an awesome concert on Tuesday. A post about that is coming soon. 

I managed to work out several times, and I think I'm starting to see progress. I did a surprisingly good job at eating well ... Until Saturday, when I went to a friend's birthday party and ate a bunch of cake. OH WELL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was ice cream cake. Anyone would be a fool to turn down ice cream cake.

I found this picture of a baby beaver and can't stop looking at it and marveling at how cute it is:



I'm currently watching the documentary, "Cowspiracy," and I'm half feeling like a bad person/half intrigued.

Also, I feel like the only person who doesn't have big plans for Memorial Day weekend. At least I got to go to a party last night.

~~~

The graves of the Marines I lost, The New York Times. In honor of memorial day.

The ethics of Hodor: A conversation about how Game of Thrones’s latest twist fits in with George R.R. Martin’s typically cliché-busting portrayal of disability, The Atlantic.

This Facebook post about a group of women stopping a potential rape is very angering, yet inspiring. An important read.

Thanks, Jimmy Carter, for stating what should be obvious: Trump’s campaign is racist, The Nation.

Why your Facebook feed is filled with women selling essential oils and press-on nails, Vox. Has an old high school friend ever struck up a conversation with you, and you feel glad they reached out again ... Only for them to start pitching "It Works!" wraps or Advocare products to you? Yeah. That sucks. I found this article to be an interesting look at MLM businesses.

Wealthy sex assault survivor pledges to defeat GOP lawmaker who won’t let victims sue their abusers, Raw Story. 

It’s scary that many still supported Bruner for the state education board, The Dallas Morning News. Texas, I love you. But we have some political issues we need to work through. "These aren’t political leanings, this is wackiness. Bruner would have been a train wreck on the state board with influence over what our children are required to learn."

The Case of Thomas/Thomasine Hall: Intersex and Genderfluid Identity in the Colonial Period, The Toast. I'm probably going to post a link from The Toast every week until they shut down ... I may still be in denial about that :-(

Why six hours of sleep is as bad as none at all, Fast Company.

The Rise of the Religious Left: Why the old ‘moral majority’ is crumbling, Jennifer Butler for Medium. I really hate the notion many people seem to have that if you're Christian, you must be conservative/Republican. I'm so glad that many Christian leaders are defying this silly concept.
"Prominent Southern Baptist leader Russell Moore has repeatedly rebuked Trump and his inflammatory anti-immigrant sentiment in op-eds, media appearances and Twitter warning that Republican candidates might turn off evangelical voters with their lack of compassion. The Catholic Archbishop of Indiana defied his governor by taking in a Syrian refugee family. Even Pope Francis criticized presidential hopeful Donald Trump for his campaign promises to deport more immigrants and build a higher border wall that he would make Mexicans pay for."

Uniqlo Says It’s “Struggling” In The U.S., BuzzFeed. Uniqlo is awesome. This seems like a good excuse to make a big order so I can do my part to support Uniqlo in America ... :-P

In other retail news ... Claire's continues its glittery decline, The Cut. NO NO NO!!! Claire's was one of the mall stores that defined my childhood, along with KB Toys and The Limited Too -- both of which are also defunct. If the Bath & Body Works also goes, well ... That will be a sad, sad day. Hang in there, B&BW.
Dillard's, on the other hand, can close. I briefly worked there and it was 2 1/2 months of retail hell.

Every Single Pinky and the Brain Plan to Take Over the World, Ranked, io9. This list leaves out the episode where Brain disguises himself as Cher and enters a celebrity golf tournament to steal Chi Chi Rodriguez's golf club. Therefore, this list is highly flawed ... But still important.

No comments:

Post a Comment