Sunday, April 24, 2016

The week in review

My sister snap-chatted this awesome Pikachu graffiti.
I'm not sure what to call this post. Other bloggers I follow, like Rachel Wilkerson and Kaelah Beauregarde-Flynn, write weekly posts that are basically a collection of interesting articles and other findings from around the interwebs. That's what I'm doing with this post.

Rachel calls it "The week in review." I'm ripping her off until I come up with something clever.

What happened with me? Well, this was my last week of working the day shift for a few weeks. For the next month or so, I'll be working midnight to 8 a.m. Blah. The hours aren't ideal, but I really can't complain because I love my job.

On Friday I ordered a mocha and asked for no whip. I received whip anyway. I took a selfie and my "basic bitch" factor went up 10 percent.



~~~

Why Harriet Tubman matters -- By a Harriet Tubman student, NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune. A fifth grader from New Orleans wrote about the significance of Tubman being on the $20 dollar bill. She said it better than I ever could. This girl is going places.


Christians need to stop boycotting stuff, Relevant Magazine. This article is from several months ago, but I reposted it on Facebook because it seems pretty topical right now. "But, too often, public boycotts aren’t about shining a light on companies doing things some people don’t like. They’re about people grabbing the spotlight and turning it on themselves. The boycott is simply a megaphone." ... YES.

... And slightly related to the previous article, Why keeping bad guys out of girl's bathrooms, isn't what's going on here, John Pavlovitz.

The 1996 article every millennial should read: Remebering America's most controversial First Lady, The Voidist. A look at Hillary Clinton that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND. “There is no way for a smart woman to be public without being seen as a treacherous Lady Macbeth figure or bitch goddess.”

Why does Hollywood keep disrespecting Melissa McCarthy? Vulture.



What America's shopping malls looked like in 1989, Mashable. I LOVE STUFF LIKE THIS. The perms. The smoking indoors. The Patrick Swayze poster. AHH!

This Reddit AMA by a 92-year-old Holocaust survivor. It really puts things in perspective.

Don Cheadle will carry your crutches, and 31 other things we learned from hanging out with him, Vulture. Cheadle is one of my celebrity crushes. If you read this article, he'll be one of yours, too. I'm really looking forward to "Miles Ahead."

PSA: Kelly Ripa is not exhibiting diva behavior, New York Magazine. "Being unhappy not to know what is going on with your place of work seems ... not unreasonable. But Ripa committed the cardinal sin of 'being angry while female,' a misstep that puts perpetrators at risk of being called shrill, bitchy, crazy, high-maintenance, ruthless, ambitious (if you're running for president), or, yes, a diva."

Clinton Super-PAC attacks Cruz for rumored Nickelback fandom, Vanity Fair. Some things are just unforgivable ;-)

I discovered the music of Gallant, and I am in LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment